Bulk packaging has been a popular packing method in commercial food distribution for years. More recently, individual consumers have shifted to buying in bulk. While consumer demand for bulk packaging was already growing, the COVID-19 pandemic resulted in new buying patterns that increased that demand exponentially.
As more buyers experience the benefits of bulk food containers, food packaging providers must innovate to offer quality bulk packaging that supports changing consumer and commercial purchasing practices.
Benefits Of Bulk Packaging
Bulk packaging offers a long list of benefits, including:
- Protection from moisture. Polypropylene features high water resistance, making it common bulk packaging material for its ability to protect products from moisture and prevent mold and mildew growth.
- Pest-free protection. Insects and other pests can wreak havoc on food products. Quality packaging that prevents infestations is essential to reduce product loss. Pest prevention also facilitates long-term storage for consumers who buy in bulk.
- Durability. Bulk packaging features enhanced strength to withstand the rigors and rough handling associated with transportation and warehousing.
- Improved worker safety. Shipping and storing large product quantities causes physical strain on workers. However, durable bulk packaging is designed with worker safety as a top priority. The containers often have handles and loops that allow workers to move the bulk products with shared lifting practices or mechanical equipment to reduce the risk of injury.
- Less consumer waste. Buying in bulk decreases the amount of packaging found on individually packaged items. Additionally, many bulk packaging containers are reusable, so they won’t end up in landfills.
Common Types of Bulk-Packaged Products
Many businesses use wholesale product packaging to easily ship their products to retailers in a way that compliments their brands. Bulk packaging is also applied to a range of food products, allowing consumers to purchase multiples of the same product in one convenient box or bag. The following types of products benefit the most from bulk packaging:
- Non-perishable foods. Cans containing non-perishable food items are one of the most common items found in bulk. Using bulk packaging for cans facilitates easier transportation and less product damage.
- Bottles. The cylindrical design of bottles makes them inconvenient to purchase in high volumes individually. This design also makes loose bottles prone to rolling or getting knocked over, leading to potential product loss during shipping or while sitting on shelves. Bulk packaging materials encase bottles to reduce these unfortunate events. Shrink wrapping is a popular way to package bottles while maintaining product visibility through the packaging.
- Jars. Products often sold in jars must be handled with care due to the breakable nature of glass containers. Wholesale packaging provides glass jars extra protection to reduce the risk of breaking.
- Home supplies. Home essentials, such as paper towels and toilet paper, are some of the most widely consumer-purchased bulk products. Shoppers benefit from buying home supplies in bulk by saving trips to the store, while manufacturers benefit from reduced packaging material and labor costs.
- Powders. Bulk powder packaging often relies on vertical form fill seal or pouch packaging and filling services. This wholesale packaging method facilitates the packaging of large volumes of powdered goods quickly and effectively.
Econo-Pak’s Bulk Packaging Experts
There are many advantages of incorporating bulk packaging for your products. When deciding on wholesale packaging solutions for your business, it is essential to work with knowledgeable professionals with experience in the market.
At Econo-Pak, we have over 30 years of experience providing bulk packaging solutions. Our team has a commitment to innovation and quality, delivering packaging solutions to meet your unique needs. Our designers will work with you to find the best bulk food packaging for your product.
Please request a quote to learn more about our bulk packaging capabilities and how they can benefit your business.